Saturday, February 4, 2012

New Girl

We got moved into the new house and at some point I should probably take pictures. Not only that, but I'm going back to work starting Monday. It's kind of terrifying and exciting and heartbreaking, because it also means Calvin will be in daycare 5 days a week. I think it will be good for him, but I'm a worrier and my child is the most important thing in the world to me, so I'm apprehensive. The place seems really nice and I spent an hour there on Friday with him to see how he did. He ran right in and started playing with toys. He isn't terribly sociable just yet, because he's never been around that many kids at once, but he didn't seem afraid. I'll probably cry on Monday when I drop him off.

My new job is teaching English at the magnet school here, and it's two weeks into the semester and I'm replacing the English I and II teacher. There is no time for orientation or planning or decorating or anything. I'm jumping right in on Monday. I hope it goes well, and we need the money. We're hoping to save up enough to get a house within the next year or so, and we owe my parents money for the car they sold us, and Brandon's still paying off student loans, and now we have daycare costs, so...yeah. Lots of things to work towards.

The rental house is pretty good for a rental. We've had a few hiccups--the thermostat went crazy, the hot water went out, there are some repair issues we've had to handle with the back deck and the garage door--but mostly it's a super nice house for a decent price, much cheaper than what we paid in Massachusetts, and my parents are less than an hour away, and we can easily make day trips to Charlotte or Greensboro or Asheville and weekend trips to Raleigh, and all in all I think it's going to be nice. It's funny to think that I actually have a legitimate reason to look at real estate sites, and to consider that we could buy this house if we wanted to, and to start researching school districts for Calvin and and future kids. I feel like this is the kind of place we could settle in for a long time, and even if we want to try living somewhere else for a while or going back to Raleigh, it's going to be years before that happens, and we can actually put down roots.

I miss Molly and Jack like crazy, especially because we don't know anyone locally and there isn't a MOMS club, but with work starting and Calvin getting into daycare I'm hoping we can network a little. The other teachers that I met at the school seem pretty cool. We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck getting adjusted to your new job, new routine and Calvin's new school.

    ReplyDelete