Friday, June 29, 2012

Experiences #1

I've been really bad about keeping track of this blog and I've decided to try to get back into it by writing about experiences I've had that I remember very clearly and that were generally pretty cool or memorable.  Also, my child is two.  We had a Sesame Street birthday party and it was amazing.  I'll write about that sometime.  But today's post is:

That Time I Saw Christian Slater in a West End Play (2006)

When I was abroad I spent a week visiting my friends in London.  Actually it was more like a week and a half, crashing on their couch, and I had almost forgotten how uncomfortable that couch was.  But I just remembered.  Anyway, I spent a lot of time sightseeing on my own while they were in class during the day, and while exploring the West End I kept seeing posters advertising that Christian Slater was appearing as Randle P. McMurphy in a revival of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  I love the play, and I ADORE Christian Slater, so it was my one thing I really wanted to see if I was going to go to a show.  There were two guys who I talked into going with me, Cole and some other guy (I can't remember his name to save my life), but the night we wanted to go the show...wasn't happening?  I think they weren't doing student tickets or something, and that was the only way we could afford it.  Either way, we ended up walking all over the place looking for a show to go to, and ended up at Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? with Kathleen Turner, which was a fantastic show and very well done and I learned what Buffalo was.  The next time there was a show was on a weekday afternoon (strange, I know) but I went by myself.  I don't go to shows by myself, as a general rule, but this was Christian Slater.  And because I was by myself, I got one of the last-minute tickets in row F.  That's the sixth row, if you don't want to count it out.  I was six rows away from Christan Slater, one of my favorite actors, watching him perform this amazing role and just rock it.  There was almost a surreal quality about it, and there's no real reason for it, it was just that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment