Saturday, January 23, 2010

A post that is mostly not uterus-related

This is the first morning I've woken up and not felt like I needed to vomit immediately, so YAY FOR THAT! However, I've picked up a nasty cough from somewhere (and who knows where; working in public school, you can't identify the source of any afflictions which cancels out feeling good about not puking.

The new semester starts on Tuesday, and I have Monday as a workday to create as many lesson plans as I can get done. If I can get a month's worth done, our next workday is February 15, and I can finish another month until spring break, and so on. This is not to say that these lesson plans will not change (they almost certainly will) but we're supposed to have them printed out and kept somewhere the principals can see them if they do a walkthrough, because hey, it's what you did in student teaching, so get back with it. For me this is not a problem, having done student teaching very recently, but many of the other teachers are not happy. I don't know if they even remember being in college. (That's not true. I love my coworkers, and I'm sure they all remember college, even if it was a long time ago.) Either way, there are a few plans I have for my classes, the most exciting of which is...

Teaching The Crucible using Battlestar Galactica.

Yes, I am a giant nerd.

This will work, though! All I have to do is get a copy of the game, take out the "You are a Cylon" cards, explain to the kids how it works, and have them determine at the end of, say, one FTL jump, who is the Cylon. And it will be no one. AND THEY WILL SEE HOW IT WAS IN SALEM. Only in space. With robots.

Also, if you missed it, go on Hulu and watch Conan O'Brien jamming with Billy Gibbons, Ben Harper, Beck, and Will Ferrell (on cowbell!) on the Tonight Show finale. That's the last Tonight Show I'll ever watch. In part because I have a really hard time staying awake that late, but mostly on principle--because Conan took it out with class, dignity, and everything I could have hoped for from such a crap situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment