Friday, October 22, 2010

October 22, 2010

Dear Calvin,

Congratulations, baby! You are one third of one year old today. That's right: it's been four whole months since I went to the hospital and we welcomed you into the world. You seem to like it so far. I have never seen so many gummy smiles as I have watching you these last few weeks. You are becoming pretty opinionated, too, and I'm having to learn what you want and how you express that. You like being held over my shoulder, but not your daddy's; you love being in the car, but only when it's moving; you still like your swing and your froggy seat; you LOVE the Bumbo and learning to sit up on your own.

You're probably a little behind where you should be as far as pushing up and rolling over, but I kind of expected that. It's all the upper-body strength developmental milestones that give you trouble, and your arms were the least developed part of your little preemie body. But you make up for it in other ways: by drooling more than any human should be able, by making adorable noises and faces that make me smile, and by having the leg strength of a small rhinoceros. Good lord, can you kick! The bathtub, the changing table, the crib, the swing, my belly--nothing is safe from the pounding of your legs. You never sit still, and once you're able to move yourself I'm going to have to chase you all over the place to keep you out of trouble.

You've developed something of a routine that you've attempted to destroy the last couple of days. You usually wake up at 7 (although this week it's been around 6, and last night at 3--what was that about?) and take a short nap at 10:30, then a long nap from around 1-4. Bedtime is usually between 9 and 10, and you play around a little before falling asleep. I'm so thankful that you're sleeping through the night. I wish you would sleep a little later, but I'm counting my blessings and not asking any more of you than you're already doing.

I see so many signs that you recognize me, and that you are exploring your world and learning what's in it. I hope you like what you find and that you stay happy.

Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment