Sunday, January 2, 2011

What up, 2011

Well, here we are in 2011 and we have a long, holiday-less stretch of winter ahead of us. I sincerely hope that this is a better year than 2010 was. Although honestly, I think the best way to put it is that the 2009-2010 SCHOOL year sucked out loud, and after that ended things kind of slowly improved.

We spent Christmas in Texas, and had a lovely time; meanwhile, the northeast was preparing for the blizzard of the year, and on Sunday morning we realized that we might not be able to make it back. Our flight to Philadelphia was canceled pretty early, and so we rerouted ourselves through Charlotte and left earlier in the day. We spent the night in Charlotte when our connecting flight was canceled, but the nice thing about a flight through Charlotte is that I have parents who live 20 minutes away and have a guest bedroom and a Pack and Play. So we stayed there and ate Bojangles' and Krispy Kreme and got to see both families at Christmastime.

Calvin is the proud owner of a bunch of toys now, including a couple small ones I bought him and a couple big ones from his paternal grandparents, as well as some new clothes and pajamas. He received a Radio Flyer wagon and an activity table, which are on their way via the postal service, and we're going to have so much fun playing with them.

We spent New Year's with Todd and Molly (and Todd's mom, who is awesome), and Lisa's been visiting all weekend, which has been a lot of fun. She just got back from her Peace Corps stint in Ghana, so it's good to see her again, and we went into the city to visit her friend Laura and her boyfriend (both awesome people as well). I kinda wish we lived closer to the city. I love the subway and being able to walk places and all the cool stuff there is, like cupcake shops and weird eclectic stores.

Also, I'm thinking about applying for a job for which I'm not at all qualified, but would probably like a whole lot. It's a developmental editing position at Bedford/St. Martin's. I don't know when it starts, so I don't know how interested I actually am, but it's for English textbooks. And it would mean finding childcare, which is terrifying, and if it's this semester, messing up a prior commitment, so it's probably not happening. That was an example of me talking myself out of something.

New Year's Resolutions: Lose 35 pounds, feel better about myself, and clean something in my house every day.

1 comment:

  1. I find it best not to make too many resolutions. This years?? To pass the semester without killing anyone. I think I can achieve this goal.

    However, I will help you lose weight by being a better influence on your eating and a) not talk you people into going out so much and b) telling you "no" despite the fact that we got Cracker Barrel gift cards for Xmas. This is me being a bad influence. I suck...sorry.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete